Grants & Funding

County Training is featured on the Register of Approved Training Providers (RoATP) as Herefordshire & Ludlow College.

All current Apprenticeship Frameworks and new Apprenticeship Standards have been allocated to one of 15 new funding bands, which identify the level of government funding available for that particular Framework or Standard.

The new funding reforms require some employers to make a financial contribution to the cost of training any apprentices taken on after the 1st of May. This will depend on the apprentice being taken on and the size of your business. For further details about how your organisation could fund your apprenticeships please have a look at the information below. Alternatively, contact us on 0345 6789023 for further information.

For small employers (employing less than 50 people)

If you recruit an apprentice who is 18 or under at the start of their apprenticeship, or an apprentice who is aged 19 to 24 and has previously been in care or who has a Local Authority Education, Health & Care Plan (ECHP) then you will not have to pay anything towards the cost of apprenticeship training. You will also receive £1,000 from the government to help towards your additional costs in supporting that apprentice, paid in equal instalments after 3 months and 12 months.

If you recruit a candidate who is 19 years or older at the start of their apprenticeship, and doesn’t fall into the categories above, then you will be required to pay 10% of the full cost of the training, as defined by the relevant funding band that the apprenticeship has been allocated to. The government will cover the remaining 90% of the training costs.

For medium sized employers (employing 50+ people with an annual wage bill of less than £3m)

You will be required to pay 10% of the full cost of the training for the apprentice, regardless of their age. The government will cover the remaining 90% of the training costs.

If you recruit an apprentice who is 18 or under at the start of their apprenticeship, or is aged 19 to 24 and has previously been in care or who has a Local Authority Education, Health & Care Plan (ECHP) then you will receive £1,000 from the government to help towards your additional costs in supporting that apprentice, paid in equal instalments after 3 months and 12 months. This £1,000 can be used to offset your initial 10% contribution.

For large employers (annual wage bill greater than £3m)

Large employers are required to pay the apprenticeship levy, regardless of whether or not you take on any apprentices. The levy is calculated as 0.5% of that part of your annual wage bill that is over £3m. Your annual wage bill for levy purposes is calculated only on employees with an English home postcode. The levy is paid through the PAYE system and the monies are deposited into an on-line digital account known as the Apprenticeship Service (AS), and can be used to pay for some or all of the costs of training. Further information on the Apprenticeship Service can be found at https://www.gov.uk/guidance/manage-apprenticeship-funds . County Training is listed on AS as Herefordshire & Ludlow College. As a large employer, you will be required to pay 100% of the cost of training for the apprentice, regardless of their age.

If you recruit an apprentice who is 18 or under at the start of their apprenticeship, or is aged 19 to 24 and has previously been in care or who has a Local Authority Education, Health & Care Plan (ECHP) you will receive £1,000 from the government to help towards your additional costs in supporting that apprentice, paid in equal instalments after 3 months and 12 months.