L2 Award in the Safe Use of Brush-Cutters and Trimmers
About the course
The qualification is aimed at those who use brush-cutters or trimmers as part of their work, either in horticulture, arboriculture or forestry. This covers the use of brush-cutters or trimmers, covering pre-use checks and maintenance, identification of controls and instruments and operating the machine to cut or trim to the capacity of the machine.
By the end of the course you can expect to be able to do the following:
- how to carry out a risk assessment (Criteria 1.1 – 1.1)
- Know the health and safety legislation that underpins trimmer and brushcutter operations (Criteria 2.1 – 2.1)
- Wear the appropriate Personal Protective Equipment (PPE) for trimmer and brushcutter operations (Criteria 3.1 – 3.1)
- Know the health and safety features of the equipment being used (Criteria 4.1 – 4.1)
- Know how to maintain the trimmer / brushcutter (Criteria 5.1 – 5.5)
- operate a trimmer / brushcutter (Criteria 6.1 – 6.2)
- Understand different operating techniques (Criteria 7.1 – 7.2)
- store equipment safely and appropriately (Criteria 8.1 – 8.1)
- be familiar with the machinery, equipment and tools that they are going to use.
- Wear appropriate Personal Protective Equipment (PPE) at all times. All PPE used must comply with relevant AFAG guidance, industry good practice, Health and Safety Executive publications and current legal requirements in terms of specification and use.
- Be prepared to have a photo, which will be on your qualification card on completion of successful assessment and certification.
The college/ tutor will supply:
- Necessary equipment
- Paperwork and documentation for the course
How to Book
Call the Gateway Centre on 01743 355159