Classical Calligraphy Beginners
About the course:
The course aims to provide an introduction to calligraphy for beginners, but participants with previous experience are also welcome. We will be look at ‘Classical calligraphy’ and use broad-edged nibs while we study the ‘Foundational Hand’ and understand some of the general principles of calligraphy and good lettering. We will start by using various tools, e.g. pencil, fine liner and broad-edged felt tip pens, allowing students to progress at their own pace.
Beginners (but students with some experience are also welcome);
By the end of the course you can expect to do the following;
- Use a range of different writing implements including pointed and broad-edged nibs.
- Understand the principles of good lettering
- Produce some simple pieces of calligraphy such as name cards and greetings cards
- More advanced students should be able to write out a short poem or quote
You will need:
- Pencils: Soft pencils (2B or softer) for writing with and hard pencil (H) for drawing lines.
- Dip pens with flexible pointed nibs for modern calligraphy or with broad-edged (e.g. William Mitchell) nibs for Classical calligraphy and calligraphy ink. (Available to try and to buy)
- Ruler, eraser, water pot and kitchen towel/ absorbent paper.
- Layout paper, or other thin paper that does not bleed (e.g. Hewlett Packard). Cartridge paper for projects.
Your tutor will supply:
Dip pens and nibs for students to try and to buy, inks and gouache, paper, card, other various writing implements, also some paper to use and/ or purchase.
Your tutor is an experienced calligrapher with an infectious enthusiasm and love for this art form.
Further courses at more advanced levels..
How to Book
Call the Gateway Centre on 01743 562063or email: email@example.com