British Sign Language - Improvers (Oswestry)
About the course:
This course is designed to enable you to develop an ability to communicate with Deaf people using BSL in a range of familiar contexts, participating in longer and more open – ended exchanges than at beginner level. The course will develop functional communication in BSL about a range of real life, routines and daily experiences. You will be able to deal with more routine language tasks and have sufficient grasp of grammar to cope with some non – routine tasks.
You must be proficient at level 1 standard or have completed a year's tuition. You will receive a college certificate on completion of the course.
The course is divided into three units
- Developing your receptive skills: - covering topics linked to meeting deaf people. You will learn how to receive and understand specific information and instructions, and how to understand description, explanations and statements
- Developing your productive skills: - covering topics to help you when you’re signing with a deaf person. You will learn how to use simple structures and phrases and use BSL appropriate to the context of the discussion. Understand how to use role-play, while using a conversation based on the theme that your tutor has chosen.
- Developing your conversational skills: - covering topics to help you converse with a deaf person. You will learn how to understand routine questions and responses, requests and views and understand the main points of routine conversations.
- There are four themes: which run throughout the course:
- Everyday conversations shopping and spending
- Travel and holidays, eating and drinking
- You will study the theme ‘Everyday conversation’, and two from the remaining three themes, in which your tutor will chooses for you when you are ready.
You will need:
Notebook and pen
The Tutor will supply:
Handouts and worksheets will be provided during the course
About the Tutor:
Sue Hall is an experienced practitioner and teacher of British sign Language, who is passionate about sharing her skills so that more people feel confident to communicate with the deaf community.
You may wish to join the deaf and hard of hearing clubs in Shropshire
How to Book
Call the Gateway Centre on 01743 562063