City & Guilds NPTC Level 2 Certificate of Competence in using a Chainsaw from a Rope and Harness
What Does the Subject Include?
It covers risk assessment, emergency planning, legislation, industry best practice, environmental considerations, tree condition, tools and equipment, pruning techniques, and pruning from a rope and harness.
The assessment is with an independent assessor and will be made up of both practical assessment and one to one questioning. The recommended duration for this is between 2.5 to 3.5 Hours. It will take place on another day after the course has been completed.
What are the Entry Requirements?
Candidates must have achieved:
- 0039-20 Level 2 Certificate of Competence in Chainsaw Maintenance and CrossCutting,
- 0039-21 Level 2 Certificate of Competence in Felling Small Trees up to 380mm and
- 0039-22 Level 2 Certificate of Competence in Tree Climbing and Aerial Rescue (or equivalent versions or equivalents
You should read the course guidance at:
What do I need to bring with me?
- Please bring your own PPE as listed below. The college is not able to provide these.
Learners are required to attend the course with;
- LOLER compliant tree climbing equipment,
- Personal first aid kit attached to harness,
- PPE – Helmet BS EN 12492, and eye and ear protection
- Outer clothing which is snag proof
- Suitable gripper gloves ideally with rubber palms
- Chainsaw boots BS EN ISO 1724 with good grip
- Chainsaw trousers Type C (all round protection EN381-5)
- Sufficient fuel and oil for intended operation,
- Top or rear handled chainsaw with guide bar appropriate to timber size, and appropriate chainsaw maintenance tools.
- It is recommended the learner holds current Emergency First Aid at Work certification.
NB: Instructors have been instructed not to undertake training where learner’s protective equipment does not meet appropriate requirements
What can I do next?
Other NPTC courses available are:
- City & Guilds NPTC Level 2 Certificate of competence in the Safe Use of Stump Grinders <
- City & Guilds NPTC Level 3 Certificate of competence in Aerial Tree Pruning
- City & Guilds NPTC Level 3 Certificate of competence in Aerial Tree Rigging
How do I apply/join this course?
To book a place on this course email email@example.com or telephone 01743 562063