New Incentive Scheme for Hiring an Apprentice Announced
County Training has launched a new campaign to ensure that Shropshire employers are aware of the new incentive payment scheme that that the Government has launched to help kickstart the nation’s economic recovery.
From 1st August 2020 to 31st January 2021 employers may be eligible to an incentive payment of up to £2000, in addition to any grants they may already be eligible for.
Business Development officer Kerry O’Brien said “We are keen to make sure that businesses are aware of their entitlement as part of the government’s Plan for Jobs, so that they can take advantage of the opportunity to bring new talent into their workforce and help grow and develop the next generation of apprentices. It’s great news that there is no limit to the number of apprentices’ employers can take on under this scheme and receive payment for and we urge businesses to contact us to discuss the funding they may be eligible for.”
Key points employers should know
- The apprentice must be a new employee to the business, have a contract of employment start date between 1 August 2020 and 31 January 2021 (inclusive) and must not have been employed by the employer within the six months prior to the contract start date.
- Claims can start to be made by employers in relation to these apprentices from 1 September 2020. Those claims must be made through the apprenticeship service.
- There will be two levels of payment based on age. For apprentices aged 16-24 the payment will be £2,000, and for apprentices aged 25 or over the payment will be £1,500.
- The payment will be made directly to employers in two equal instalments, where the apprentice is still in learning at day 90 and day 365.
- There will be no limit on the number of incentive payments that an employer can claim for apprentices eligible to receive funding, provided each apprentice meets the criteria, including being a new employee.
Full information about the scheme can be found below
To request an Employer information pack and/or request a call back to discuss the scheme, click below and fill in the contact form:
Please note that for SMEs to benefit, they will have to register for the Apprenticeship Service.